What is Virtual Instructor Led Training? Detailed Guide
We quickly adapt to online capabilities that make our lives easier—it is no different for online learning.
With the rise of remote work and the increasing popularity of e-learning, virtual instructor-led training (VILT) has become an effective and convenient way to pass skills without any physical or geographical limitations.
The new way of training allows you to get the benefits of a live instructor without the time commitment and expense.
VILT offers a flexible, convenient, and cost-effective way to deliver training to a remote audience.
This enables trainers to create vibrant learning environments where learners can learn at their own pace, interact with online trainers, and receive real-time feedback.
In this article, we will provide a detailed guide on what virtual instructor-led training is, how it works, and the benefits it offers to trainers and learners. We will also discuss the best practices for delivering VILT.
Virtual instructor-led training (VILT) is a type of online training delivered remotely using virtual meeting software.
In this type of training, an instructor leads the training session remotely, and participants can attend the training from anywhere.
This provides greater flexibility and accessibility because participants are not required to be physically present at the exact location of the instructor to receive training.
VILT (Virtual Instructor-Led Teaching) mimics the foundations of face-to-face (F2F) training online and live.
But contrary to traditional training, VILT is collaborative and reaches remote learners in real-time through a virtual learning platform or software.
Virtual instructor led training can take different formats, such as:
- Live webinars: in this format, the trainer presents the material in real-time, using a web-based platform, such as Zoom or Webex. Participants can watch the presentation and interact with the trainer and other participants through a chat function or by using audio or video.
- Self-paced online courses: the trainer creates a pre-recorded system that participants can access at their own pace. The course may include video lectures, readings, quizzes, and other interactive elements. Participants may also have the option to interact with the trainer or other participants through discussion forums or other online tools..
- Virtual classroom: in this format, the trainer uses a virtual platform that simulates a traditional classroom experience. Participants can see the trainer, other participants, and any visual aids or materials the trainer uses. The trainer can use screen sharing, breakout rooms, and polling to engage participants and facilitate learning.
Virtual instructor-led training (VILT) and instructor-led training (ILT) can appear similar since they involve a trainer or instructor leading a training session.
However, there are key differences between the two formats.
One of the main differences is the delivery method.
In ILT, the training is delivered in person, typically in a classroom or conference room. This allows for face-to-face interaction between the trainer and participants and the opportunity for hands-on activities or group discussions.
In contrast, VILT is delivered using a virtual platform, such as video conferencing software. This allows for real-time interaction between the trainer and participants, but it does not offer the same level of face-to-face interaction as ILT.
Virtual instructor-led training (VILT) can be beneficial in many ways.
Because it is delivered remotely, VILT allows for greater flexibility and accessibility. Participants can attend the training from anywhere if they have a device and an internet connection.
With that in mind, here are the benefits of virtual instructor-led training for trainers and students.
Here are the benefits of virtual instructor-led training for trainers:
- Wider reach: because VILT is delivered remotely, it allows trainers to provide training to a broader audience, as participants can be located anywhere with an internet connection. This can be particularly useful for trainers who work with a distributed workforce or want to reach a global audience.
- Greater flexibility: VILT allows trainers to deliver training at a convenient time and location for both the trainer and participants. This can be helpful for trainers who have busy schedules or who work with participants in different time zones.
- Increased cost-effectiveness: VILT can be a cost-effective option for trainers, as it eliminates the need for travel and accommodations.
- Enhanced interactivity: VILT platforms offer a range of interactive features, such as screen sharing, polling, and breakout rooms, which can make the training more engaging and interactive.
For learners, virtual instructor-led training comes in as a handy tool to receive online coaching without physical geographical barriers.
Below are the benefits of VILT for students.
- Personalized feedback: VILT allows for personalized feedback and support from the instructor, which can help learners to understand the material better and improve their skills.
- Convenience: VILT allows learners to attend training sessions from any location with an internet connection. This can be particularly useful for learners who cannot travel to a physical location for training or who have busy schedules.
- Flexibility: VILT allows learners to attend training at a time that is convenient for them. This can be helpful for learners who have other commitments, such as work or family responsibilities.
- VILT is cheaper: Virtual training requires no special equipment or relocation. This means that running a virtual training program can significantly reduce costs. It can also save time that would otherwise be spent commuting to and from a physical location for training.
- Interactive learning: VILT can be more engaging and interactive than other forms of online training, as it allows for real-time interaction between the instructor and learners through features such as video conferencing, chat, and screen sharing.
- Creating a welcoming and inclusive environment: it is critical to creating a friendly and inclusive environment so that all participants feel at ease and involved in the training session. It can be accomplished by using inclusive language, allowing people to introduce themselves, and encouraging everyone to engage.
Overall, VILT can be a handy and flexible alternative for learners who wish to attend training without the time and expense of in-person instruction.
Virtual training is an excellent way for trainers to deliver training to their attendees.
While VILT provides numerous benefits, there are several issues to consider while creating and delivering a VILT program.
In this section, we’ll dive deep into the best practices for delivering virtual instructor-led training:
- Choose the right virtual meeting software: make sure to select a VILT software that’s easy to use and has the features and capabilities you need to deliver a practical training session. Consider factors such as the number of participants, the type of training you will deliver, and the level of interaction you want to provide.
- Test the technology: before the training session, test the VILT platform and all the technology you will use, including your microphone, camera, and any slides or visuals you’ll share. This will help ensure that the training runs smoothly without technical issues.
- Engage participants: make use of various interactive features, such as polls, Q&A sessions, and breakout rooms, to engage participants and keep them interested in the training. Encourage participation by addressing any questions or concerns that participants may have.
- Provide clear instructions: before the training session, give participants clear instructions on accessing the VILT platform and any other technology they need. This will help ensure that participants can join the training session quickly and without confusion.
- Be prepared: Before the training session, make sure to prepare all the materials you will need, including slides, handouts, and any other visual aids. This will help ensure that the training is well-organized and flows smoothly.
VILT provides valuable learning experiences to employees, customers, and channel partners and allows them to interact with the instructor and peers while learning online.
With video conferencing tools and webinars, learners can easily connect to real-time training, irrespective of their location.
While many of us have used Zoom for meetings, it is also an excellent option for VILT.
Zoom offers a wide range of valuable features for VILT, such as video and audio conferencing, screen sharing, and the ability to conduct polls and surveys.
These features allow trainers to deliver engaging and interactive training sessions and provide learners with an immersive learning experience.
Zoom is also available on multiple platforms, including desktop and mobile devices, so that learners can access the training from anywhere and on any device. This allows for greater flexibility and accessibility and ensures that learners can participate in the training regardless of the device they use, provided they can access the internet.
Zoho Meeting is a free online meeting platform that lets you host online meetings with real-time audio, video, and screen sharing.
The platform is intuitive and easy to use, so trainers and learners can quickly learn how to use its features and focus on the training content.
Some features that distinguish Zoho Meeting from most VILT are its ability to lock meetings, smoothly swap presenters, and correctly delegate control of screen presentation choices to distinct contributors.
Zoho Meeting is also affordable, allowing you to host a meeting of up to 100 participants for free.
You also get access to tools like a virtual background and a collaborative whiteboard to make your training interactive.
Demio is a webinar solution that simplifies registering, attending and revisiting webinars.
One of the critical benefits of Demio is that attendees do not need to download any software to join a live event; all they need is a web browser.
This allows your attendees to join your virtual training with one click on the browser.
In terms of visual aesthetic appeal, Demio is a winner. The platform provides real-time HD streaming video and a visually appealing platform.
In addition to its user-friendly design, Demio also offers tools that allow you to make your online events engaging. You can launch interactive polls, give handouts, and even grant microphone or webcam access to any of your attendees, allowing them to speak their thoughts.
Google Meet is a video conferencing app that offers a range of valuable features, including a robust free tier, collaboration tools, and automatic meeting recording. These features make it an excellent choice for virtual training and make it easy for users to connect and collaborate in real-time.
Google Meet has constantly improved with new features and enhancements over the years. The virtual meeting software offers excellent features like breakout rooms, polls, Q&As, noise cancellation, and screen sharing, which are all essential in creating a highly engaging virtual learning environment.
Virtual instructor-led training is designed to be more flexible than traditional classroom-based learning. It allows students to learn at their own pace and in the way that works best for them.
Virtual instructor-led training also facilitates real-time feedback. The advantage of having a coach or mentor who can guide them through difficult topics and answer any questions they might have about the subject matter makes VILT a great online learning method.
At GroupApp, we bring the power of virtual instructor-led training to our community app and online course platform.
Using our software, you can easily create a community and host online events where you can engage with them in real-time and offer assistance.
Get started with GroupApp for free and deliver an interactive community experience to your members with integrated live streaming and video chat.