Dornubari Vizor - Feb 17, 2020
Podia – What It Is, How It Works and Is It Worth It
With the ever-growing number of online businesses, there is also an increasing demand for platforms that allow them to offer products and services to customers. Podia is one such platform.
If you own an online business, you might be interested in purchasing one of Podia’s packages. However, investing in any sort of a platform without doing diligent research is never a good idea. That is why we’ve decided to take a closer look at what Podia is and provide you with a detailed overview of their services.
What is Podia
Podia is pretty much the online version of a building that leases out office spaces – it provides you with a place where you can run your business. Whether you have an online magazine you’d like to sell, a language course, or a fitness program, you can do it with Podia. But let’s take a closer look at what they do.
Services Offered by Podia
Podia offers a number of different services tailored to various kinds of businesses. Whether you’re selling a physical product or a digital file, odds are they’ll have a service for you. Here’s what they offer:
- Online Courses. With Podia, you can sell online courses, be it a language course, a fitness program, or something completely new. The platform allows you to design your course, add quizzes, images, videos, optimize your course for different devices, choose between drip-courses, single courses, course bundles, and so on.
- Memberships. Would you like to introduce a member-only feature into your business? Memberships are a great way to develop your community marketing strategy. Podia allows you to offer multiple-level memberships, connect the membership feature to your social media groups, and collect recurring payments.
- Digital Downloads. If you are a digital content creator and you want to sell your product online, Podia allows you to do that, too. Whether you’re selling e-books, drawings, music, quizzes, or any other type of digital file, you can do it here. What’s more, there are no limitations in terms of the number of files, downloads, sales, etc.
- Messaging. Maintaining a close relationship with your customers is one of the most important factors in earning their loyalty. That is why Podia also offers a messaging feature that allows you to chat with people interested in your product.
- Email Marketing. Podia’s email marketing feature includes newsletters, drip messages, automated recurring emails, as well as the option to analyze customer activity resulting from your email notifications.
- Website Builder. Not everyone who is a digital content creator knows how to make a good-looking website or digital storefront. Podia’s editor is tailored to content creators and makes website building simpler than it usually is.
- Embeds. If you already have your own domain, but you want to optimize it for digital sales, you can use Podia’s embeddable buy button. This button will allow buyers to purchase your products without having to leave your page.
Podia doesn’t sell these features separately. Instead, there are two packages you can opt for – the Mover package and the Shaker package. The difference between the two is the scope of services that are included, as well as their price.
The Mover currently costs $39 a month. It includes online course services, digital storefronts, downloads, email marketing, and messaging. They also promise a hassle-free transition from other platforms, 7-day-a-week customer support, and no transaction fees.
The Shaker comes at a higher price – $79 a month. Aside from the services included in the Mover, this one also includes memberships, blogs, embedded buy buttons, affiliate marketing, and third-party code. To make the decision between the two easier, Podia offers a free two-week trial.
Alternatives to Podia
Podia doesn’t exactly offer anything new – there are countless other platforms where you can sell digital files or collect memberships. However, let’s take a quick look at how Podia ranks among the competition.
Teachable Vs. Podia
Teachable is a platform tailored to creators who want to offer online courses. It allows you to add multimedia guides including images, videos, voice recordings, PDF files, and quizzes. You can also create your own website on there.
The starting price for Teachable is the same as for Podia – $39 a month. However, Teachable is strictly tailored for online courses, and it doesn’t offer things such as e-mail marketing or memberships. It also has a limit to the amount of storage you can use.
Patreon Vs. Podia
Patreon is one of the biggest competitors Podia has when it comes to memberships and member-only products and features. There are three different service packages you can choose from depending on your needs. These packages don’t have a fixed price but are based on a percentage of your sales.
One of the major advantages Podia has over Patreon and Patreon alternatives is the lack of transaction fees. Also, Patreon can’t be connected to your own membership website – you have to offer memberships on Patreon directly. Unlike Podia, however, Patreon does offer a free plan.
Gumroad Vs. Podia
Gumroad is yet another platform that allows you to sell your digital products – be it eBooks, music, videos, images, or anything else you can think of. You can also sell physical products, offer subscriptions and preorders.
The starting price for Gumroad is lower than Podia’s – $10 a month. However, there are transaction fees you’ll have to pay. Other features Gumroad lacks are memberships and custom storefronts.
Thinkific Vs. Podia
Thinkific is a platform tailored mostly to those who want to market and sell their online courses. It allows you to easily design a website, add your course content, and advertise it to potential students. You can add different media, make your courses private, introduce prerequisite lessons, and so on.
Thinkific offers most of the same services that Podia does – memberships, drip content, e-mails, and website design. However, the starting price is $49, which makes it slightly more expensive than Podia. Also, there is no live chat support, and you can’t sell downloads.
Kajabi Vs. Podia
Kajabi is yet another platform that claims to offer all-in-one services to digital creators. You can sell products and offer memberships, as well as access tutorials and courses made to help you grow your business. They also have 24/7 live chat support.
Let’s be honest, Kajabi is as good as it gets in the world of digital creator services. The one thing that Kajabi doesn’t have, however, are affordable prices. If you want to join the platform, be prepared to pay a three-digit monthly fee.
LearnDash Vs. Podia
LearnDash is yet another highly comprehensive platform. Their features are divided into four categories – Courses, Monetize, Administration, and Tech. These include things such as quizzes, memberships, drip-feed content, certificates, subscriptions, and so on.
One problem with LearnDash is its pricing. Starting at $329/year, it is not necessarily expensive. However, the fee is charged annually, which could present a bigger blow to your budget than Podia’s monthly billing.
What Do the Users Say
There’s no better way to find out if a product is any good than by asking those who have bought it before. That is why reviews are an invaluable source of information when shopping around for the right platform. We took a look at Podia reviews and highlighted some of the best – and some of the worst – things we came across.
One of the things that reviewers seem to highlight the most is Podia’s customer service. Another feature most people mention is the simplicity and ease of use. They say that the platform is quite intuitive and that anyone could learn how to use it.
Some users say that the effort to make Podia easy to use comes at the cost of the scope of features offered. For example, not being able to customize email notifications (e.g. add the recipient’s name to the letter) or to categorize products offered on the storefront are some of the things reviewers complain about.
Overall, Podia’s biggest advantage over its competition is that it is an all-in-one solution. There are numerous membership websites out there, as well as countless online course platforms. However, only a handful offer as wide of a variety of services as Podia does. While there are some drawbacks, when compared to its competition, Podia seems to be one of the best choices for online content creators.